Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Naan Bread

After a delicious supper at Bhandari's I decided that I could try my hand at naan bread. It was rather easier than I had thought!


Ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups of low fat yoghurt


Method:
I mixed together 4 cups of flour with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking powder. I then kneaded in 2 cups of low fat yoghurt, but double cream might make it tastier.


Once you've kneaded it for about 5 minutes, oil another bowl lightly and put the ball of dough aside to rest for an hour. Thereafter, divide the dough into about 10 balls and roll them out. 


Since you will probably be using a round frying pan, try to make them round rather than long. When ready, add the dough, once piece at a time to the pan on medium-high heat until the bread puffs up and gets brown marks on it. 


Then transfer it to a hot oven (220 - 290'C). My oven started smoking at 290 so I turned it down. I think this part of the process just cooks the inside a bit more.


Serve hot with butter and garlic.Enjoy with a nice hot curry and a home-made chutney.


Note: I found that they weren't great the next day, so if you're going to make them, eat them all that day (which shouldn't be too difficult). 


I used this recipe: http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/naan-203261

No comments:

Post a Comment